SPICY SPRING BBQ CHICKEN
Music is life. So first thing's first, set the mood w/ our dinner time playlist (Spotify link here).
- Preheat oven to 425°F (set on the CONVECTION function if your oven has one, otherwise the BAKE function will work fine). If you’re planning on BBQ’ing the chicken, fire up your BBQ on high as well.
- Pull out the spicy black beans, cotija cheese, cilantro, guajillo BBQ sauce, brown rice and lime from your fridge and pantry and set aside.
CILANTRO LIME BROWN RICE
- Rinse and strain your brown rice.
- Add water to medium saucepan (for every one cup of rice you cook, you’ll want two cups of water).
- Add your rice and a little bit of olive oil to saucepan.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- While the rice is simmering, finely chop up your cilantro (stems included!) and slice your lime in half.
- Once the rice is done, add your cilantro and fresh squeeze of lime, mixing in both well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the chicken from the vacuum sealed bag and place onto a metal sheet pan.
- Lay the chicken out flat, skin side up, and place into the oven for approximately 45 minutes (if you ordered the whole chicken) or approximately 30 minutes (if you ordered the two chicken breasts). If you’re using a probe or thermometer, you want your chicken to hit an internal temperature of 165°F or 74°C.
- Once it’s done, make sure to let the chicken rest for a few minutes before digging in. And while resting, brush it with a little guajillo BBQ sauce (or if you prefer, set aside the BBQ sauce for dipping).
SPICY BLACK BEANS
- Empty the container of spicy black beans into the small saucepan.
- Heat them up on medium heat, stirring occasionally (the beans are already cooked) until they’re hot enough to eat.
- Keep the cotija cheese handy, you’ll need it right before you’re about to eat.
***If you’re grilling the chicken on the BBQ***
If you’re looking for a little extra char and possibly some extra smokiness and / or love BBQ’ing, feel free to grill the chicken. To grill the chicken on the BBQ, remove the chicken from the vacuum sealed bag and place the chicken directly onto the grill.
Lay the chicken out flat and skin side up to begin. Cook over medium-high heat (approximately 450°F ) for about 8 minutes, then another 5 minutes or so on the other side until ready.
If you’re using a probe or thermometer, you want your chicken to hit an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C)
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
Our dream plate looks like this: we start with a large scoop of the cilantro lime rice. Next, a healthy portion of spicy black beans. On top of the black beans goes a generous amount of cotija cheese. Lastly, a piece of chicken. And of course, a spoonful of guajillo BBQ sauce for dipping our chicken into.
***pro-tip: every oven is unique, and every chicken is a slightly different thickness so it’s completely normal if your chicken takes a little longer or slightly less to cook than what’s suggested above.