Music is life. So first thing's first, set the mood w/ our dinner time playlist (Spotify link here).
- Free range chicken rubbed w/ Chinese five spice, garlic, ginger, ground coriander, brown sugar, sea salt
- Maple sesame broccoli + carrots (Pefferlaw Creek Farms organic maple syrup, sesame oil)
- Honey hoisin BBQ sauce (hoisin sauce, honey, soy sauce, fish sauce, grapeseed oil, rice wine vinegar, ketchup)
- Ginger scallion sauce (scallions, ginger, fish sauce, grapeseed oil, white vinegar, black pepper, white sesame seeds)
- Organic brown rice
- Preheat oven to 425°F (set on the CONVECTION function if your oven has one, otherwise the BAKE function will work fine). If you’re planning on BBQ’ing the chicken, fire up your BBQ on high as well.
- Pull out the broccoli and carrots, honey hoisin BBQ sauce, ginger scallion sauce and brown rice from your fridge and pantry and set aside.
- Add water to a medium saucepan (for every one cup of rice you cook, you’ll want two cups of water).
- Add your rice and a little bit of olive oil to the saucepan.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Once the rice is done, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the chicken from the vacuum sealed bag and place onto a metal sheet pan.
- Lay the chicken out flat, skin side up, and place into the oven for approximately 45 minutes (if you ordered the whole chicken) or approximately 30 minutes (if you ordered the two chicken breasts). If you’re using a probe or thermometer, you want your chicken to hit an internal temperature of 165°F or 74°C.
- Once it’s done, make sure to let the chicken rest for a few minutes before digging in. And while resting, brush it with a lot of honey hoisin BBQ sauce (or if you prefer, set aside the BBQ sauce for dipping).
MAPLE SESAME BROCCOLI + CARROTS
- While the chicken is cooking, grab a sheet pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Remove the broccoli and carrots from the vacuum sealed bag and space them evenly across the sheet pan and season with salt.
- Place the broccoli and carrots into the oven alongside the chicken, cooking for 25 minutes (if you’ve ordered the whole chicken, place the veggies into the oven at the 20 minutes mark so both the chicken and veggies are ready at approximately the same time).
***If you’re grilling the chicken on the BBQ***
- If you’re looking for a little extra char and possibly some extra smokiness and / or love BBQ’ing, feel free to grill the chicken. To grill the chicken on the BBQ, remove the chicken from the vacuum sealed bag and place the chicken directly onto the grill.
- Lay the chicken out flat and skin side up to begin. Cook over medium-high heat (approximately 450°F ) for about 8 minutes, then another 5 minutes or so on the other side until ready.
- If you’re using a probe or thermometer, you want your chicken to hit an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C)
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
Our dream plate looks like this: we start with a large scoop of the rice. Next, we drizzle the ginger scallion sauce over the rice. Then we grab a healthy portion of the maple sesame broccoli and carrots. Lastly, a piece of chicken. And of course, a spoonful of the honey hoisin BBQ sauce for dipping our chicken into.
pro-tip: every oven is unique, and every chicken is a slightly different thickness so it’s completely normal if your chicken takes a little longer or slightly less to cook than what’s suggested above.